Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, has demanded the public parade of the suspected killers of the 16 hunters and compensation for their families.
The governor handed down the demand during a condolence visit by his Edo counterpart, Monday Okpebholo, in Kano, on Monday.
The visit comes barely 48 hours after the remains of the hunters, who were lynched by a mob, were interred in Uromi, Edo State, on Saturday.
Members of the Hausa community converged on the community cemetery to pay their last respects to the victims, who were burnt to death last Thursday after they were accused of being kidnappers.
The hunters were travelling in a truck when they were intercepted by a vigilante group, and 16 of them were murdered while 10 escaped.
Speaking while hosting Okpebholo at the Kano Government House, Yusuf described the attack as disturbing, emphasising that Nigeria valued the sanctity of human life.
“This cowardly act contradicts the fundamental principles of our society, which are deeply rooted in both Islamic and Christian teachings.
“So far, 14 suspects have been arrested in connection with the killings. As Kano remains dear to my heart, we will continue to uphold the value of being our brother’s keeper,” he said.
Addressing concerns about possible reprisals by northerners, the governor said, “We have implemented strong security measures to prevent any reprisal attacks. We also urge that those arrested be publicly paraded to bring relief to the victims’ families and to ensure accountability.’’
“I call on Gov. Okpebholo to ensure that the families of the victims receive fair compensation for their loss. I also commend President Tinubu for his prompt response and commitment to justice by directing security agencies to pursue the perpetrators,” he noted.
Speaking earlier, Okpebholo condemned the brutal killing of the hunters in Udune, Uromi Local Government Area of the state, describing the attack as barbaric and unacceptable.
“I was deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident. Upon my arrival, I met with my Hausa brothers, who had generously supported me during my election campaign,” Okpebholo said.
He further stated that President Bola Tinubu had directed the Inspector-General of Police and other security agencies to track down the perpetrators and ensure they faced justice.
“We have implemented robust security measures to hold all those involved accountable. Security agencies have already launched investigations to bring the culprits to justice,” he assured.
A statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, disclosed that some of the victims hailed from Bankure Local Government Area of Kano State.
It said the governor, deeply moved by the tragic incident, assured the bereaved families and the people of Kano State that justice would be served.
“I was deeply touched when I received the news of the incident at night. By 4 a.m., I left Abuja and rushed to Uromi to meet with the affected families. During my campaign, your people supported me, and I stand with you in this time of grief. I extend my condolences to the people of Kano State and pray for the eternal rest of the victims’ souls.
“We have made significant progress in our investigations. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not happy about this incident and has directed security agencies to go after the culprits. I can assure you that justice will prevail.
“So far, about 14 suspects have been arrested, and after the holiday, they will be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation. More arrests will follow as investigations continue,” Okpebholo reportedly stated.
It said Yusuf commended Okpebholo for his swift intervention and support to the bereaved families.
The governor stated, “We appreciate the Governor of Edo State for his prompt response to this tragic event. It is well known that our people were returning from Port Harcourt when they were brutally murdered.
“The majority of the victims were from two local governments in Kano State. Governor Okpebholo immediately visited the scene, ensured that the corpses were retrieved, and arranged for their proper burial.
“He also made commitments to support the affected families, and I can confirm that he has fulfilled those promises.
“We trust his assurance that the culprits will be brought to book, as justice remains our utmost priority. The people of Kano are peaceful and hospitable. This tragedy serves as a lesson to all, and I urge all leaders across Nigeria to ensure the safety and protection of all citizens, regardless of their location. Governor Okpebholo’s visit today is a mark of true leadership, and we appreciate his gesture.”
Speaking on behalf of the Arewa community in Edo State, Badamasi Saleh, who was with Okpehbolo in Kano, reaffirmed the longstanding cordial relationship between the northern community and Edo people, emphasizing that the unfortunate event should not be used to tarnish the state’s image.
He added, “I was born and raised in Edo State, and we have always maintained a peaceful relationship with the people here. This incident should not be used to create division or smear the reputation of the Edo State Government.
“The swift response of the state government was commendable. Moreover, it was the people of Uromi who rescued some of the victims from the assailants. This tragedy will not change our bond with the people of Edo.”
The leader of the Edo community in Kano, Fred Akhigbe, also expressed appreciated Okpebholo’s visit, urging both communities to maintain peace and unity.
He added, “We are grateful to the Governor of Edo State for personally coming to Kano to express his condolences. When this tragic incident happened, there was apprehension, but we are reassured by the swift actions taken by both state governments. We sympathise with the people of Kano State and pray for the victims.
“I have lived in Kano for 52 years, and we must remember that we are all one. There is no need for conflict between us. We commend both governors for their leadership and commitment to justice.”
President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, similarly condemned the murder of the hunters, describing it as a senseless act of violence that has no place in society.
Akpabio also called on relevant authorities to conduct a proper investigation into the incident and bring the culprits to book to assuage the pain.
The former Akwa Ibom governor disclosed this in a condolence message released by his Special Assistant on Media, Jackson Udom.
Akpabio said, “I am deeply saddened and disturbed by the gruesome murder of 16 travellers in Edo State. This senseless act of violence is unacceptable and has no place in our society. I condemn in very strong terms this heinous crime.
“I also urge the relevant authorities to conduct a thorough investigation and ensure that the perpetrators of this barbaric act are brought to book and held accountable for their actions. As a people, we must work together to promote peace, unity, and understanding among our people.
Speaking during a condolence visit to the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau Jibrin, at his Maitama residence in Abuja, on Monday, Okpebholo pledged that the 14 suspects who were arrested in connection with the killings would be handed over to the police authorities in Abuja for further interrogation.
The governor extended his condolences to the Deputy President of the Senate, who is from Kano State, pledging that the state government will assist the families of the victims.
This was contained in a statement by the Special Adviser to the Deputy President of the Senate on Media and Publicity, Ismail Mudashir.
Responding, Barau also condemned the gruesome killing, saying it shouldn’t be allowed to happen in a democracy.
The Senate deputy president said the perpetrators of the act must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.
“We cannot undo what has been done. But what Nigerians are looking forward to is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice. And you are doing well in that direction. I am also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.
“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the facts. If they are brought to justice, it would serve as a deterrent to those who might want to do this in future.
“I know that people from other parts of the country have been staying with your people in Edo for centuries in a very conducive atmosphere. And this barbaric act has never happened. I’m sure, under your watch, this will not happen again.
“I thank you very much. You have told me now that you’ll meet the Kano State governor today. This is very good. Please continue what you are doing. Mr President also told us that you are doing very well in this direction, and we have seen it because, as I said, we have spoken several times on this matter in the last 72 hours,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures of Nigeria has emphasised the need for effective oversight of the activities of community structures established by various state governments.
The Speakers made this call in a statement by their chairman, Adebo Ogundoyin, in reaction to the lynching of the hunters in Edo.
Ogundoyin noted that the incident foregrounded the need for improved community policing and training of local security operatives on professionalism.
“The Conference calls for proper and rigorous oversight of the community policing structures established by various state governments.
“It is essential to ensure that these local security operatives operate with professionalism, respect for human rights and in line with the rule of law.
“Effective oversight will safeguard the integrity of these initiatives and ensure they do not become instruments of injustice,” Ogundoyin said.
He condemned the action of the perpetrators as barbaric, unjustifiable and an abuse of the rule of law.
”The CSSLN strongly condemns the horrific lynching of 16 northern travellers who were, on transit, accused of possessing dane guns (local firearms). The actions of the so-called vigilante group members are barbaric and unjustifiable.
“The conference decries this act of mob violence as a gross violation of human rights and a serious threat to peace and security. Such extrajudicial killings undermine the rule of law and contribute to the erosion of societal values,” he added.
To guarantee peace and security, Ogundoyin urged the security agencies to arrest all behind the lynching and ensure they were prosecuted accordingly.
“We commend the prompt response of the Edo State government and security agencies in addressing the situation, but we urge them to intensify efforts to ensure that those responsible for this heinous act are swiftly identified, arrested, and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
“Our hearts go out to the families of the deceased. We extend our deepest condolences during this time of grief and stand with them in their loss,” he added.
Following speculations, the Edo State Police Command has debunked claims that there was a riot in Uromi where 16 travellers were burnt to death on Thursday.
A senior officer who pleaded anonymity said that these claims were being made to cause rancour despite the government moves to avert reprisal attacks in the state or any other part of the country.
He said, “I don’t know why false claims are being made over this issue. There is no fighting, riot in Uromi or any part of the state over the killing. The state government is working with the security agencies, including the police, to ensure that peace reigns in the state. The killing is a sad occurrence and highly condemnable.
“That is why the government is talking to all the stakeholders on the need to allow peace to reign. Fourteen people have already been arrested in connection with the killing, and we are still carrying out an investigation to fish out more culprits,” he revealed.
Speaking on the viral video that shows Fulani herders regrouping for a fight, the official said the video is fake and called on authorities to tackle the spread of fake reports on social media.
He added, “These social media influencers who broadcast fake news should be made to face the law. What they are doing is setting people against themselves.
“They do all these for likes and money. I think these social media platforms should also censor what is being broadcast through their platforms.’’
Concerned by the Uromi killings, the Esan Descendants Assembly Worldwide has expressed sorrow and outrage over the attack.
In a statement issued on Monday by EDA Chairman, Prof. Godwin Okogun and General Secretary, Saintmoses Eromosele, the organisation condemned the killings, describing it “a senseless tragedy” and an “abomination that has brought shame upon the land.’’
The group distanced the broader Esan community from the heinous act, asserting it may have been carried out by non-indigenes residing among the Esan, acknowledging the collective moral burden.
“This tragedy weighs on us all, settling like the dry-season dust upon every roof—guilty or innocent,” the statement added.
“Our apology is not out of mere politeness but from the anguish of shared humanity. No man deserves to be judged by fire. No mother should be handed her child’s ashes,” the group said, highlighting the worsening security situation in Uromi and its environs, warning that residents now live in perpetual fear amid rampant kidnappings, lawlessness, and government inaction.
“For several planting season, especially in recent years, Uromi and neighbouring towns have groaned under the weight of unchecked criminality, kidnappers striking day and night, rapists and bandits violating homes and farmlands, killers roaming freely through markets,” the statement asserted.
The EDA decried the “deafening silence” of security agencies and government officials, lamenting delayed interventions and the unfulfilled promise of the Esan Mobile Police Squadron Barracks.
While acknowledging that mob actions often stem from deep-seated frustrations with insecurity, the EDA firmly denounced vigilante justice, saying, “Justice may have been distant, but revenge is no solution. We must not descend into barbarism. Esanland is not a jungle.”
The Global Peace Foundation-Nigeria condemned the Edo incident, saying it highlights the urgent need for Nigeria to reinforce societal values, uphold the rule of law, and foster peaceful coexistence among all citizens.
In a statement issued by the Country Director of GPFN, Dr. John Hayab in Kaduna on Sunday, the organization expressed deep concern over the incident and demanded a thorough and impartial investigation to uncover the facts and ensure justice is served.